Do I need a Wastewater Discharge Permit?
All non-residential wastewater dischargers may be required to complete a permit application. The purpose of the permit application is to identify the volume and characteristics of the wastewater to be discharged into the sanitary sewer. The following procedure will be utilized to determine whether or not a user must submit an application:

These questions are to be answered and will help with the review. A "Yes" answer to any item with a * means the Industrial User is considered a Significant Industrial User (SIU) and will be permitted as such.

• Does the discharger have a manufacturing process that generates wastewater?
• What is/are the Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code(s) for the facility?
• Are there chemicals of concern stored on site?
• *Is there treated groundwater or site remediation wastewater generated?
• *Is there more than 25,000 gallons per day of process wastewater generated?
• *Is the proposed discharge subject to categorical pretreatment standards under Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations?
• *Could the proposed discharge adversely affect the Publicly Owner Treatment Works (POTW)?

The Cedar City Regional Wastewater Treatment Facility, (CCRWTF) requires an industrial Wastewater Discharge Permit Application from a Significant Industrial User (SIU) at least 90 days before they discharge to the sanitary sewer.

The CCRWTF will issue industrial wastewater discharge permits to SIUs where pollutants of concern are, or have the potential to be discharged at levels that could: impact the POTW, impact the environment, or affect worker health and safety.

Industrial users who are considered categorical, but who discharge no process wastewater to the sanitary sewer system may be issued a Zero-Discharger Categorical Industrial User Permit (ZDCIU),
The CCRWTF may elect to issue discharge permits to non-Significant Industrial Users under a local control program.

Examples of such industries may include, but are not limited to:
• Food processors with less than 25,000 gallons per day process wastewater
• Metal fabricators or machine shops without surface finishing operations
• Concrete products manufacturers and ready-mix batch plants
• Electronic circuit board assembly, wave solder, solder reflow, board washing and testing
• Operations without either electro-less or electrolytic plating or chemical etching or milling
• Beverage processors including dairies, breweries and soft drink operations with less than 25,000 gallons per day process wastewater
• Testing laboratories, either analytical or product
• Chemical re-packagers, and container recycling activities
• Any discharger required after a review to implement effective control of the outgoing or effluent discharge concentrations representing components of the Local Limitations, and related priority pollutants, (Biochemical Oxygen Demand, (BOD) Total Suspended Solids, (TSS), Oil, and Grease, (O&G), pH, Metals, (As, Cd, Cr, Cu, Hg, Se, Pb, Ni, Ag, and Zn)).

The CCRWTF may also elect to issue permits to those industrial and commercial facilities without the need for monthly reporting or frequent oversight. These permits are classified as Best Management Practice (BMP) permits. BMP permits require less frequent inspection and oversight. Examples of such industries may include, but are not limited to:

• Vehicle and equipment washing and maintenance activities
• Electronic equipment testing (no manufacturing activities)
• Industrial gas repackaging and vessel hydro-testing
• Warehousing operations
• Transfer and recycling operations
• Small-scale food or beverage processors, who, after review, require no pH control of their wastewater discharge.

FOG (Fats, Oils & Grease) Commercial Program
Sanitary sewer overflows (SSO) and sewer line maintenance due to FOG (fats, oils and grease) waste have been on the rise. This has prompted stricter enforcement of Ordinances and Regulations governing FOG discharge into the sewer system. Enforcement requires the installment and proper maintenance of a pretreatment device commonly known as a GRD (grease removal device).

1. Grease Trap (indoor) - Intended for limited food or drink preparation, typically found very close to a pre-wash sink.

Defined As:
Grease Trap. Shall mean a device for separating and retaining waterborne fats, oil, and greases, it shall be installed under a sink as an accessory to an operating certified Grease Interceptor. The installation of grease traps on all new source commercial or industrial establishments, in lieu of the installation of a certified grease interceptor will be strictly prohibited under any circumstances.

2. Grease Interceptor (outdoor) - Intended for food and drink operations, found outside because of large capacity for FOG materials and its lower maintenance costs.

Defined As:
Grease Oil, and Sand Interceptor. “Grease Interceptor” shall mean a device for separating and retaining waterborne fats, oil, and greases before the wastewater, which contains such grease, exits the grease interceptor into the city’s wastewater collection system or POTW. The grease interceptor also collects settable solids generated by or incidental to commercial, industrial and food preparation activities. The Grease Interceptor shall at a minimum be equipped with a two-cell construction and be constructed of impervious materials capable of withstanding abrupt and extreme changes in temperature. The interceptor shall be of substantial construction, water tight and equipped with easily removable covers which, when bolted in place, shall be gas and water tight.

All new FSE (Food Service Establishments) are required to have a minimum 500 gallon Grease Interceptor, (Outdoor-GMD) grease removal device.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a Wastewater Discharge Permit?
2. Do I need a grease interceptor?
3. What is a Grease Removal Device, (GRD)? How does it work?
4. Do I have a grease trap?
5. How should a Preferred Pumper, Waste Hauler or other rendering companies service my GRD?
6. What if I don’t install a grease trap?
7. How can I be sure I am in compliance with the rules?
8. What is the criterion for grease trap/interceptor inspections?
9. What about maintaining my GRD?
10. What about dental wastes?
11. What about paint waste?
12. How can I get more information?